Monday, September 04, 2006




We've had some interesting nature sightings around here lately... check out this spider who has made herself at home on my new porch hand-rail... look at those huge egg sacs hanging there, too! Poor grasshopper...

I'm not sure what kind it is? We'll research it as best we can. Let me know if you know!

9/5/06 UPDATE: Thanks to MacBeth, we now know for certain that it is a garden orb weaver . That's what we thought it was but wanted to be certain since it's such a prominent fixture of our house right now. =:-O Hey, and there are over a thousand eggs in each sac. Ugh... wonder if I could sell them? LOL!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, amazing photos, JoAnna!! We've had a few orb weavers here, but not nearly as large or colorful as yours!! I give you LOTS of credit for letting this one stay put, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. We have seen several of these spiders, one with a butterfly caught. We always refer to these as "zipper spiders" because of the zig zags they weave on their webs. I can't wait to show this to my children.

Home School Mom: Denise said...

Ooh, I'm sorry but these guys (gals) give me the creeps, even though they are interesting. We use to call them banana spiders...and run away..... :)

Blessings,
Denise

Anonymous said...

Our Golden Guide says that is specifically a black and yellow argiope orb weaver. We have two in our flower bed. Aren't they beautiful?

Theresa said...

Beautiful! Looks like you are in for a bunch of bug-eating spiderlings!